Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thoughts on Essay 3

     So, this is supposed to be an "eye" essay, which means I need to find something outside that relates to me somehow. In class we brainstormed a list and I have a few things from it that might make a good essay.
One of these is cooking. I'm not exactly a gourmet, but I do like to cook and bake. And maybe I'm just a little bit of a foodie. I read all kinds of cooking magazines and I'm constantly looking through cookbooks at work. I also watch my mother frequently. I have since I was little, and our whole family has looked to her for baked goods. I think that I could do something about that.
     Another topic is more of a travel essay. I've gone to Wildwood every year for about along as I remember. Apparently, I was even there in utero. Over the years, I've racked up all kinds of memories about our vacations there. In the last few years, things have really changed. Many of the 1950s-era motels that were a permanent presence down there have closed, including the one I stayed at for most of my life. In their place, condos are being put up. The typical condo owner doesn't spend in the same way as a one-week vacationer though, and the shift is having some pretty far reaching effects. That's something I would definitely like to write about.
     I also have learned about healthy eating and exercise in the last few years.  I spent the first twenty-odd years of my life overweight and hating myself for it. It took quite a while, but eventually I decided that I needed to do something about it.  I stopped eating fast-food almost completely, and with my increased interest in cooking began making my own meals whenever I can.  Learning to exercise properly has been an ongoing process. So this is also a potential topic, that I have invested time working on already.
     As always, the issue is trying to figure out what each of these topics will actually be about. I could relate the cooking to family history, or some other family related topic. The healthy eating/exercise topic could be a self-esteem idea, or related to ideas about life and aging. I could tie so much to Wildwood: family, aging, growth, money, economics, etc. So the real question is, which of these do I pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment